Calera is located in the southern portion of the County and approximately 30 miles south of Birmingham and positioned along the Interstate 65 corridor.
Incorporated on February 21, 1893, Calera gets its name from a Spanish word meaning limestone. Before its incorporation, the town was known as “Lime Kiln Station,” because of its location in the heart of the vast lime producing area of the State. This area is one of the largest chemical lime producing areas in the United States.
Calera known as the “Heart of the Heart of Dixie” (because of its central location in the State of Alabama) offers its residents many of the conveniences of city living. The city provides its residents with fine schools, recreational facilities, and shopping but at a small town pace.