Environmental Services

Christmas Tree Recycling Program

SHELBY COUNTY, AL – Shelby County in conjunction with the City of Chelsea, the City of Pelham, and Propst Alabaster LLC, is offering a Christmas Tree Recycling Program at five designated areas in Shelby County. The program is scheduled to take place December 27, 2022 through January 6, 2023 at the following five locations:

  • Heardmont Park on Cahaba Valley Road/AL-119
  • CR-47 in Chelsea (gravel lot at intersection with Liberty Road)
  • Ray Building on AL-70 in Columbiana
  • Propst Promenade Alabaster located at the end of AmStar Theatre parking lot
  • Pelham City Park on US-31 in Pelham

All drop-off areas will be located in parking lots and designated with orange traffic cones and signage, and will be monitored daily. “We plan to recycle the Christmas Trees into landscape and erosion/sediment control materials for county facilities and decrease the volume of illegal dumping that occurs each year”, stated Chad Scroggins, County Manager. These temporary sites are for Christmas Trees only, no yard debris please.

ADEM Announces Burn Ban

The Alabama Department of Environmental Management is reminding Alabamians of the open burning ban going into effect for 12 counties. The ban, which is designed to protect air quality, is effective from May through October and includes:

  • Baldwin
  • DeKalb
  • Etowah
  • Jefferson
  • Lawrence
  • Madison
  • Mobile
  • Montgomery
  • Morgan
  • Russell
  • Shelby
  • Talladega

Services We Provide

The Environmental Services Department provides the following services:

Additionally, we provide day-to-day contact with the public in landfill operations, storm water programs, and garbage service, and resolve complaints or problems related to any of the above.

Useful Resources / Information

Garbage Collection

Changes to Shelby County Garbage Collection Services

Effective October 1, 2022, the garbage collection service provider will be changing from Republic Services to Waste Management.

All current service accounts will automatically transfer over from Republic Services to Waste Management. The only change you will need to make is if you currently have auto-pay setup. Banking and Credit Card information will not be transferred. You will need to wait for your first billing invoice which will provide your account number, then go online to www.wm.com to setup your account information.

To establish a new customer service account, please contact Waste Management at 1-800-607-9509.

Curbside recycle service has been discontinued on the Shelby County Garbage Collection Service contract. Please place your recycle receptacle out on your regularly scheduled pickup date to have serviced. These receptacles will be serviced and removed by Waste Management teams.

Thank you for your patience during this transition of service.

Please visit Changes in Garbage Collection FAQs (PDF) and Waste/Recycle Information (PDF) for additional information and what to expect with the change.

  • Waste Management Customer Service contact number - 1-800-607-9509.
  • If you have additional questions or problems, please contact Shelby County Environmental Services at (205) 669-3737.

Rates as of October 1, 2022


Shelby County is providing recycling receptacles at the Heardmont Park location for cardboard and paper only.

Other businesses within the county, such as Publix and Target, offer limited recycle collections for plastics.  Please visit their websites for complete details.